Thursday, April 24, 2008

Can't believe I never posted this before


Letter to the editor from my Dad

April 25, 2007

Editor, The Journal Standard

It has been and is very proper to honor the dignitaries, victims of disasters and tragedies and their families by lowering the United States flag to half-staff for a period of time. I support this tradition and will continue to honor them and their families in this public display.

Recently nine paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division (our son served with them in Iraq and Afghanistan) were killed by a suicide truck bomb! Other servicemen and women are wounded or killed almost daily. I propose that we fly the United States flag at half-staff to honor those killed, wounded and their families until thirty days after the last to serve is home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

If we honor civilian victims in this public display, how much more fitting is it to honor those who have promised to defend you and me from all enemies?

Sincerely,

Allen Buus

4145 Business 20 West

Freeport, Il. 61032

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark. Reading this exactly one year after I wrote it and reflecting that nothing has changed, I am concerned that the flag will be at half staff for a considerable time.

Allen Buus